An explanation of the title of this blog...

Friday, April 25, 2008

Too big for its boots


Since this orchid was moved out to the snug, it has gone from strength to strength. Its aerial roots have infiltrated the space between the inner and outer pots, they have grown down the outside of the outer pot and circled around the drip tray, and a few stray roots are making their way up under the window ledge. As you can see, this year there are three flower spikes. I haven't bothered to count the individual flowers, and a dozen or so have already dropped off, but last year there were 29 flowers on the single spike, and they lasted from June through to August.

Edit: Yesterday I uploaded a crop of this picture using Picasa. For some reason, it has flown off into cyberspace, so here is the original un-cropped picture uploaded the conventional way. Thanks for letting me know, Eve. I have now counted the flowers. There are 49, not counting uncoloured buds, or the dozen or so that have already fallen off.

4 comments:

  1. But I can't see the picture :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is sorted now, Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my what a gorgeous plant..... just beautiful, you must have a knack with them....

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Totty:
    Nice to hear from you on my "Blog" - thanks so much for posting. This orchid is absolutely gorgeous! My word, Totty - 3 blogs???....you're ambitious (lol). Great to chat again and a lovely blog you have here.
    Hugs, Marion

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and remember that anyone without a sense of humour is at the mercy of the rest of us...

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.