An explanation of the title of this blog...

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Greeny - yeller


This Euphorbia strikes a lovely bright note in the grasses. It grows prolifically all over the place, but I am very careful how I approach it; I discovered to my cost, twenty years ago, that the sap brings my skin up in large painful wheals that take a long time to heal, and leave brown marks on my skin for months. The bare areas of soil are being colonised by this grey/green lichen, seen here on one of the rock outcrops in The Bottom. I know lichen is supposed to be slow growing, but this one isn't wasting any time. The flat yellow lichen below is much more stately in its pace of growth. These patches on the rock outcrop are quite large, but the patches on stone surfaces that were cut twenty odd years ago are only now reaching a diameter of 2cm.

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen that color lichen, ours is either brown or green. I love this color!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and remember that anyone without a sense of humour is at the mercy of the rest of us...

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.