An explanation of the title of this blog...

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Weeds or Wildflowers?

Bossman and I have had an ongoing battle for the past twenty odd years over what we call The Bottom. When we first arrived here in 1986, it looked like this:


Three months later, it looked like this; by the simple expedient of doing this:
After that first trial by fire, it was left pretty much to its own devices for months, but the following Spring, I was amazed by how many different varieties of wild flowers sprang up on this patch of hillside. I added to them over the years by collecting seeds from plants I found growing further up the hill as I walked with the dog. The Mastic bushes that had been razed to the ground all sprouted again, and the Black Caps found them ideal nesting places. When we had The Top more or less gardenified, Bossman started itching to turn The Bottom into some kind of regimented Council Park, and attacked it with a large heavy Flymo borrowed from a friend. The Battle commenced...and we came to a compromise eventually: The flymo could be employed once a year after the main flowering season was over, and the seeds had had time to set and scatter, and the leaves of the corms and bulbs had died back. From time to time we felled a pine tree for firewood, or because it was getting too close to overhead cables, but in general, this truce held firm until the arrival, two years ago, of Ivan the Bulgarian, the Ghengis Kahn of the gardening world, and self appointed chief hatchetman to Bossman. Anything that grew out of line was ruthlessly cut back, regardless of where it was in its growing cycle, no bush got a chance to flower, in the Bottom or the Top, and if I happened to be out when he came, out came his strimmer and The Bottom would get a short back and sides. Bossman would look sheepish and assure me that he tried to stop him but he doesn't understand my Spanish...

This all came to a head last Autumn, when I walked Bossman round the garden, pointing at bare bushes and bare soil, asking Do you remember when this had flowers....when there were roses here....when this was a field of wild gladdies..? We fixed Ivan up with two other gardens and a pool to look after, and bade him goodbye. Compromise was again reached; the path from the Top to the bottom gate could be mown, but the rest would be left to recover. I have been waiting to see what survived Ivan's onslaught, and although there are some species missing altogether, there is still a good variety. I have always had it in mind to keep a record, so I am starting to take some pictures, and will add them here as I get myself organised. Just to wet your appetite, a general view of The Bottom as it was this morning, and a closer view of the commonest flower at the moment; the coltsfoot. I'll post again in a little while when I have this morning's photos in some kind of order. I have three books by Clive Innes; Wild Flowers of Spain. I am using these as a starting point for identification, as I don't know if my old Flora will have Spanish species...

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant post Toots!! Look forward to seeing and hearing more!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, and remember that anyone without a sense of humour is at the mercy of the rest of us...

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.